It's true that recently I have had this fascination with Disney movies. I don't know why that is. I haven't bought a Disney movie in quite some time. Perhaps it is because of the rereleasing of Sleeping Beauty that I have given much thought to this multi-billion dollar company. I give them a lot of credit. They have taken a breather from their sequels and prequels to bring out the "oldie-but-goodies," fondly known as the Disney Classics. It definitely brings in more money when they release the "Special Edition" or, even better, "Platinum Edition"! And there are us suckers out there who buy these editions because we can't stand the thought of living without these movies that we grew up with. I can recall the days of awaiting the release of the next Disney feature on VHS and being more excited to see what the cover looked like than to see the movie again. But yet I can't keep myself from buying these movies.
I have become greatly annoyed by the "Disney Princesses." Who decides which Disney characters get to be princesses? I thought all girls were princesses. Or was that a lie? I don't know. But I do know that there are many Disney "princesses" who don't get the attention they deserve. Don't get me wrong. I love Cinderella and Aurora. Snow White's a little annoying, but she's okay. Ariel is my favorite Disney character of all time. But there are many other characters who should receive the same glory as those who were born into privilege. And so I present the list of "Unsung Disney Princesses." These are women and girls that I think deserve to be princesses just as much as Jasmine and Cinderella. I have listed them to the side. Please review them and think of each one thoughtfully. Give them a little time. Because they are princesses too.
2 comments:
One thing that kind of ticks me off about our society is illustrated in one of my favorite Pixar movies, "The Incredibles"... that "everyone is special", or rather, "no one is". Too often, prizes are given out for participation, rather than excellence. It's like we treat real life the way all the TV shows and Disney movies end up... with happy endings.
At work, we talk about "opportunities" rather than issues or problems. Again, it's like looking at reality through some kind of TV-is-really-reality-and-nothing-should-ever-go-wrong-that-can't-be-resolved-in-the-next-season filter.
So, just because many of those characters from the Disney movies are good characters doesn't mean that the have to be princesses. Just as "the world is not made of good people and Death Eaters," so Disney movies shouldn't be made up of princesses and villains.
I would as the question: What is a princess? If we're talking about real world "princess", you have to be born in a line of royalty. If we're talking about "Daddy's little princess", most little girls would fit in that category. If we chose to think of a princess as someone who has done something remarkable, then I would agree with the list. I like to think of a princess as, sometimes we daughters of Heavenly Father are considered, then maybe even the 'villians' would deserve the title. We Disney fans don't like to think of them as princesses, but I like to think of myself as one. Since I've been reading a lot of historical novels involving English royalty, I have had a greater desire to search my family history greater to see if we have any royal blood in us. Thank you for the reminder, Lindsey :-)
Post a Comment