13 November 2009

carmen

Most of you know that I've been working on a novel for seven years. I am not used to calling it that. It's always just been "my project," but I am learning that I need to call it what it is. For one of my creative writing classes this semester, my final project is to submit a work for publishing, and I decided that I'm ready to be done with Carmen. I've been tweaking her for so long that I wouldn't just finish it, and the time has come for me to move on.

The idea for Carmen came to me in high school. I first started writing her one Sunday in a sacrament meeting when I was having a difficult time concentrating. Rather than writing the story chronologically, I wrote different sections at different times, and eventually I had all these little pieces of a story that I then put together. Now that I have the whole story down in sequential order, I'm in the editing process.

I would tell more about my baby, but I'm not quite ready to share more than this. I hope that soon I will be able to show it rather than just talk about it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's wonderful! I hope you're enjoying the process... I can imagine it will be difficult to share your "baby" with the world, but I hope it is a good experience for you and look forward to reading your first novel.