22 November 2009

cloud cover

Here is a poem I wrote awhile ago, but I thought I'd share it since I don't think I've ever shared it before. It's pretty cheesy, but maybe looking at this poem I wrote at the beginning of my college career and comparing it with more recent stuff will show that maybe I have made a little progress in my writing.

Cloud Cover

Oh, how blissful
kisses on the cheeks from clouds.
Are they heaven's tears?
Heavens no!
Kisses that bring life to the green
carpet that covers the earth.
The clouds roll in, stormy they seem.
but they are only bearing the gift of life
to God's creations.
Pooling together, streaming down the streets,
splashing and running.
When will it stop? When will the sun break?
Oh, the beauty of endless clouds.
They will not be defeated so easily.
Here to block the heat of day
from farmers' necks and little girls' cheeks.
Yellow slickers and orange rain pants,
blue umbrellas and red galoshes.
A playground of such brightness
that no sun can create.
Screams of delight as little once prance.
Mothers and teachers welcome the moment
when the outdoor smells are drawn in,
when it's soup and cocoa and homemade bread.
Not heaven's tears.
No, they're kisses instead.

No comments: