Sad news. The nurse from the famous V-J Day photo died on Tuesday. She was 91 years old. The story behind the picture--she didn't know the sailor who grabbed her and kissed her. What a kiss from a total stranger! I would be okay with that! This photo was deemed the best "kissy" photo of all time by the girls of Colonial Apartment 501. And we were pretty much the experts on kissy photos and movies.Last weekend I had the unique opportunity to have a makeover done, and it was for FREEEEEEE! (reference to Bedtime Stories).
Mom entered me into a contest, and I won. I guess she wrote something about me, but she hasn't let me read it yet. The stylist was Audrey Lynn Fuller, who my mom used to babysit, though she is now Audrey Pentico. I was there for three hours in which time she cut and styled my hair, did my makeup, and gave me a heavenly facial. It was a little nerve-racking at first, but I warmed up to it.
I am very happy with the results, although it means I have to wake up earlier in the morning to do my hair and makeup. I haven't been so good at that this semester.
I had another unique experience just yesterday. I received a phone call from a student from the University Relations Department last week, and she invited me to Tuesday's devotional luncheon. The school hosts a luncheon every Tuesday before devotional, and it's only for a small group of people. There were about ten (randomly selected) students there, along with a woman from the University Relations Department, Kevin Miyasaki (the Dean of Students), President and Sister Clark (BYU-I president), and Elder and Sister Winkel (former member of the Seventy and the devotional speaker).
We sat around a big table and introduced ourselves. It was pretty intimidating to be sitting in the company of these seemingly untouchable "celebrities" and sharing my life history. President Clark then asked for questions. The conversation immediately turned to... you guessed it... dating and marriage. What else? That's all we talk about at BYU-Idaho! Actually, the conversation was really good. One girl said the she is frustrated because guys just want to hang out, and she wants to date. She asked what she can do to encourage boys to date instead of hang out. One of the Winkels (I don't remember which one) said that it's okay to refuse when boys want to hang out, but that we also need to say things like "How about we just go on a date instead?" and not give them the option to fall into the hanging out rut. It makes sense, I guess, but easier said than done. Sister Clark, however, said that the most important thing we can do is be happy.
I thought this advice was great. She went on to say that boys are attracted to happy girls. She encouraged us to not sit around and wait to get married, but to pursue education and careers, and marriage and family will fall into place; of course she also cautioned us against getting totally consumed by education and careers. I guess what I appreciated most about her advice is the fact that she didn't meet and marry President Clark until after she had graduated from BYU. It gives me hope, and it reconfirms my decision to continue working for my degree and career.
We sat around a big table and introduced ourselves. It was pretty intimidating to be sitting in the company of these seemingly untouchable "celebrities" and sharing my life history. President Clark then asked for questions. The conversation immediately turned to... you guessed it... dating and marriage. What else? That's all we talk about at BYU-Idaho! Actually, the conversation was really good. One girl said the she is frustrated because guys just want to hang out, and she wants to date. She asked what she can do to encourage boys to date instead of hang out. One of the Winkels (I don't remember which one) said that it's okay to refuse when boys want to hang out, but that we also need to say things like "How about we just go on a date instead?" and not give them the option to fall into the hanging out rut. It makes sense, I guess, but easier said than done. Sister Clark, however, said that the most important thing we can do is be happy.
I thought this advice was great. She went on to say that boys are attracted to happy girls. She encouraged us to not sit around and wait to get married, but to pursue education and careers, and marriage and family will fall into place; of course she also cautioned us against getting totally consumed by education and careers. I guess what I appreciated most about her advice is the fact that she didn't meet and marry President Clark until after she had graduated from BYU. It gives me hope, and it reconfirms my decision to continue working for my degree and career.One more month of school. The summer weather is upon us, and to use a phrase coined by my nephew Talmage, it's "beastly hot." I am SOOO ready to be done with this semester! Love it. But must end it now before I die of summer-itis!

4 comments:
LOVED this post!
Sounds like you've had some wonderful experiences lately! You look beautiful!
Thanks Jess. Has your recent alcohol consumption increased recentl? ;)
I love the new format! It's so cute! You're awesome!
Post a Comment